PRO-TREAD Launches Online GHS Training for OSHA's Hazcom Requirement
Clients Can Comply with Dec. 1 Deadline for Employee Training
"Our clients want to meet and exceed the training needed for Hazcom," said Dr. Jim Voorhees, CEO and President of Instructional Technologies, Inc. (ITI). "Nobody gets excited about complying with a new OSHA regulation, especially one with such a short ramp-up time. But we found a way to make this GHS training work for our clients, offering the lowest price on the market to get the best training to the most drivers and workers. This training is critical to worker safety and company profitability," he said.
Clients who want GHS training for their fleet and/or employees should contact their ITI account rep.
OSHA Gets Aggressive with Compliance
"This new regulation affects a surprisingly large number of workers in transportation and warehousing," said Greg Pattison, Vice President of GLP Systems, with whom ITI partnered to create this training. When considering how much weight to give the new regulation, companies should consider OSHA's recent regulatory aggressiveness:
- The average proposed penalty for "serious" violations more than doubled in 2012.
- "Significant" cases (investigations producing fines totaling at least $100,000) are up 30% Year On Year.
- Some "mega-penalty" citations have exceeded $1 million.
- OSHA is more aggressively issuing "repeat" citations, at up at a cost of up to $70,000 for each infraction.
- There has been a 100% increase in fine imposed per cited violation.
Choosing a Mastery-Based Approach to Training
By providing the training to employees online, employers ensure all their people get the same message. And by choosing PRO-TREAD, companies will be able to show regulators that employees have understood the material using a mastery-based training approach. This approach peppers the training with quizzes — if the employee gets the answer right, they keep moving forward. If they get the answer wrong, they move back to review the material again.
When it comes to enforcement, employers can expect to see a continued increase in OSHA activity. OSHA chief enforcer Dr. David Michaels has stated that "the higher penalties are still too low when compared to other regulatory agencies."
Since Instructional Technologies has sold over 5 million lessons, the benefits of online GHS training with PRO-TREAD are well-established:
- No DVDs, No VHS tape, no books.
- No trainer required.
- No classroom infrastructure or bringing people in on their days off.
- Drivers and warehouse workers take the training on their own computers.
- Automatic tracking of progress and completion.
- Certificates for the employer (and employee, if desired)
- 3D computer animation allows for quick updates as regulations change
About Instructional Technologies, Inc.
Instructional Technologies, Inc. (ITI) is the No. 1 provider of online driver training to the trucking industry through its PRO-TREAD product. Founded in 1995, the 23-person company has produced over 500 custom training lessons and nearly 100 standard lessons, and served over 5 million lessons since moving online in 2007. Courses include topics like CSA training, pre-trip inspection, speed and space management, backing and docking, safe lifting, medium-duty trucks, and OSHA and GHS training. PRO-TREAD includes a training management system that simplifies and automates reporting and compliance. ITI also provides fleet management training, including online courses on recruiting and retention, workers’ comp, safety and security, operations, and maintenance.