Scary but true: a single click can be the deciding factor in whether you win or lose a lawsuit. When you have verifiable proof an employee received training or agreed to a policy, that’s valuable evidence. Without a digital or physical signature, you’re on shaky legal ground.
It’s easy to think sending an email is sufficient, but that’s not always the case. In court, it’s not enough to prove you sent information. You need evidence the employee reviewed and understood the information.
If you’re not currently using digital signatures, or if you’re having trouble tracking and organizing electronic signature data, there’s a simple solution:
Virtual Signatures Are Concrete Evidence
Digital signatures, e-signatures (whatever you want to call them) are an affirmative action taken to show agreement or accept responsibility.
Many people don’t realize: a digital signature doesn’t have to be an actual signature. A name written in cursive doesn’t have any extra legal validity or special powers. The next time you pay for groceries with a credit card, you can sign with a smiley face if you want to.
Officially, a digital signature can be, “an electronic sound, symbol, or process, attached to or logically associated with a contract or other record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.” So that means...
- When you ask Alexa to buy more laundry detergent, that’s a binding agreement “signed” by the sound of your voice.
- When you click “I Agree” after downloading a new app, that’s a digital signature too
Without Records, It Never Happened
Digital acknowledgements create an extra layer of legal protection you don’t get by sending an email. Requiring an electronic signature (which can be as simple as checking a box), proves an employee:
- Received information or training
- Acknowledged their understanding of a new regulation
- Attended a meeting
- Agreed to comply with a new policy
Just One Little Click Provides Protection
A single click really can protect you. “Click-through” software licenses have proven completely enforceable in court.
Digitally-signed acknowledgements can shield your fleet against:
- I never got that email
- My internet cut out halfway through the meeting
- I didn’t understand the new regulation
What Every Fleet Should Know About E-Signatures
In our digital age, banks, credit card issuers, and mortgage companies rely on electronic signatures to create legally-binding contracts/agreements/understandings. You can too.
ITI’s learning management system Sentix Pro makes it easy to collect and record digital signatures. Here are just a few of the things you can do with Sentix Pro:
- Assign employees a document to review online and require them to take a simple action (such as checking a box) to acknowledge they understand and agree to what they’ve read.
- Share a video or slide deck, assign it to one or more employees, and require each employee to correctly answer a question about the content.
- Send a video to a driver that shows them committing an infraction and require the driver to digitally acknowledge the infraction and the consequences if the infraction happens again.
Because each employee has their own unique login, the digital acknowledgement can be a simple “I Agree” checkbox. If you prefer, we can create a field for the employee to type their name or employee number, or add a question for them to answer.
Streamline Recordkeeping and Compliance
Keeping employees informed is more crucial than ever, but it can be hard to ensure everyone gets the message. I won’t pretend to know how time-consuming it is to reach every driver on the road and tell them about a new COVID-related rule they need to start following yesterday!
Whether you’re already a Sentix Pro user or you’ve just started to explore your options, the team here at ITI will make it easy to create and manage digital documentation including:
- Swift delivery of critical updates to your team
- Seamless integration to your DocuSign account
- Tracking and recording digital acknowledgements
- Hosting your HR and training content in the same place
With Sentix, you get digital recordkeeping and compliance tracking all under one roof — and it doesn’t have to be our roof. Sentix is designed to play well with other systems. It can push (or pull) data to/ from Tableau, Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, etc. and you’ll always have a back-up in our system.
ITI’s engineering team can help you seamlessly integrate Sentix Pro into your existing systems and workflows. We’re trusted by leading fleets including: FedEx, Ryder Leasing, Pilot Flying J, Frito-Lay, and many others.
A single click really can make a difference. Take the first step to improving your fleet’s legal toughness by requesting an online demo of Sentix. You can also call 360-576-5976 (choose option 4) to connect with an expert who can answer any questions you have.