It's always a little embarrassing when we get scooped in the media about our own news — see the link after the jump — but it happens. We've added three new courses recently to the PRO-TREAD catalog.
- Rear-End Collision Avoidance: Medium-Duty Trucks
- Intermodal Equipment Inspections
- Transporting Lithium Batteries
In addition, we added two other courses about two months ago:
- Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse
- Yard Driving Skills
Rear End Collision Avoidance - Medium Duty Truck
This course has been on our radar since we launched our medium-duty curriculum a few years ago. It focuses on techniques for avoiding rear end collisions since most truck/automobile accidents involve the car getting hit from behind. The training uses the concept of the Space Cushion for establishing a safe following distance based on five key factors and delivers the key messages using graphical representations that make it easy to comprehend the importance of safe distance.
Intermodal Equipment Inspections
This course covers crucial areas during the inspection process for intermodal containers and chassis to ensure safety during transit. The training shows the viewer the details needed from a close-up perspective to perform a thorough and effective inspection.
Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse
This lesson provides CDL drivers an overview of the FMCSA's Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse which will be implemented in January 2020. We wrote about the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse course on the blog recently. Trainees will learn:
- The purpose of the clearinghouse
- Who must provide data to FMCSA
- Employer's responsibility to query the clearinghouse and to obtain permission from CDL drivers
- How drivers can request access to the clearinghouse to review their personal records and how to dispute records as needed
Transporting Lithium Batteries
This new course provides information for shippers about safety precautions, packaging and labeling requirements, and documents required for compliance with applicable U.S. and international regulations.
Yard Driving Skills
Not to be confused with our terminal trucks course, this course deals with the many challenges of driving a vehicle in a yard. In this lesson, we will look at completing a vehicle inspection before moving a vehicle and how to identify and avoid fixed objects. We discuss some associated hazards and how to safely back and park a vehicle in a yard.
After viewing this lesson, a driver will learn:
- How to safely inspect a vehicle
- How to safely start up a vehicle
- How to identify hazards in a yard
- Steps to safe backing
- How to safely park in a yard.